“Administering and supervising all types of elections and referenda envisaged in the Constitution” The mandate of the Independent Election Commission of Afghanistan has been granted pursuant to article (156) of the Constitution. Based on this article, the IEC is the only institution responsible for administering and supervising elections and referenda, and acts independently. The IEC is responsible for administering the following elections and is authorized to supervise any elections in the country:
- Presidential Elections
- Wolesi Jirga Elections
- Provincial Council Elections
- District Council Elections
- Village Council Elections
- Municipal Council Elections
- Elections for mayors’ offices
“An Organization that will continuously strengthen and promote democracy through creating an atmosphere of trust, increasing the level of national participation, and institutionalizing regular and credible elections in the country”.
“Compliance with the laws, confidentiality of votes of people, professional and credible conduct of elections”.
Independent Election Commission (IEC) has been published based on 156 of constitution law and 105 presidential degree of Afghanistan on 11 Mezan 1385 for conducting, administrating and monitoring of all types of election in the country. Previously Joint Election Management Body (JEMB) was temporary pursuit election activities in the county at the year 1383-1385.
Managed election from 1383- 1398:
- Presidential election on 9th Oct 2004
- Wolesi Jirga (National Assembly) on 18th Sept 2005
- Provincial Council Election on 18th Sept 2005
- Presidential election on 20th Aug 2009
- Provincial Council Election on 20th Aug 2009
- Wolesi Jirga (National Assembly) on 18th Sept 2010
- Presidential election 5th April 2014
- Presidential Election Run off 14 June 2014
- Provincial Council election on 5th April 2014
- Wolesi Jirga( National Assembly) on 20th Oct 2018
- Presidential election on 28 Sept 2019 – On going
It is important to mention that IEC used voter list and biometric system for that last two election to ensure the transparency and fairness.